Thunderdome roll callPosted: January 3, 2013
So at some point in the near future I’ll be having my first (only?) campus visit. My inference is that there are 5 candidates. The talks are not listed on the department web site, but what I do know about the search leads me to believe that despite a broadly-worded ad they are looking quite narrowly, perhaps even as narrow as my cozy sub-sub-discipline. Here is the short list in my imagination:
1. Me. I think I’m a reasonable candidate, though with some notable deficiencies on my CV.
2. Someone I know quite well. Honestly, I don’t know who I would pick between us. Comparing us head to head, I’d say we have complementary and not very overlapping skills and strengths. Very different approaches to similar system/problems. In fact, an ideal collaborator for me. I’d say my work/approach better fits the department’s current line up, which could be mean anything depending on whether they want to build that kind of thing up or branch out to something new.
3. There is a PI in my field who gets TT jobs for PDs the way toilet seats get ass. Always safe to assume there will be a PD or 2 from this large-ish lab in the mix. This is probably 1 of ~12 interviews for this person. My best chance here is that it’s not hir first choice, and I am their consolation hire.
4. Statistically, there will be a weirdo who looked good on paper but will bomb. Unless that’s me. But let’s assume it’s not.
5. Candidate X. Seriously, who is this person?